Web chokeartist.blogspot.com

Friday, August 18, 2006

 

Best Sports Quotes

T.O., you have inspired me. When you decided that riding a stationary bike was better than practice, I thought, "practice, we're talkin' about practice?!". This of course was Allen Iverson's famously bone-headed quote about why he just likes playing in games. Iverson's rant is immortilized here on YouTube. So I got to thinking some more and I decided that "practice" and "playoffs" were the two most unintentionally funny quotes of the last 5 years. "Practice", of course was the rant of Jim Mora, coach of the Colts and can be found right here. Thanks to one of my commenters, Hip Hop Nation for correcting me on this one.

Mora's Quote: "Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! You kidding me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win another game!"

Iverson's Quote: "We're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about practice. I know I'm supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example . . . I know it's important . . . I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice?"

So which quote was better, "Practice" or "Playoffs"? Almost anybody who knows anything about sports recognizes these quotes when you say them. I created a few categories to try and determine which of the two rants was better.

1. Star Power- Advantage Iverson. An MVP, 8-time All-Star, ROY, 4 scoring titles. Mora was a decent coach but was 0-6 in the playoffs for his career. 1-0, A.I.

2. Defined by Quote- Advantage Mora. Mora's is in his
Wilkipedia profile. Iverson's is too, in its entirety, but Mora's seems to be what he is most known for. Although his quote that his offense "didn't do diddly-poo offensively" is highly underrated. 1-1.

3. Sticking quality- Advantage Mora. Watching both clips, Mora's "Playoffs!?" face is priceless. Iverson's full rant is repetitive, like it sounded right in his head, but all that kept coming out was, "we're talkin' about practice, man". Like we could read his mind or something. 2-1, Mora.

4. Most fun to say- This is a close one. I'll give the edge to "practice" though for the simple reason that "playoffs" has been played out a bit, it got really mainstream. 2-2.

5. Biggest Impact- Advantage Mora. You may argue that Iverson got Larry Brown fired, but Mora got himself fired at the end of that season (not that either was directly related to the specific quote). 3-2 Mora.

6. More Well-Known Quote- Advantage Mora. This was universally used to describe the postseason in any sport for at least 3 years. 4-2 Mora.

7. Best Response to the Quote- Advantage Iverson. Many might not remember that the next day Larry Brown said, "He said 'practice' more times than he's actually practiced". 4-3 Mora.

So there we have it. Two common sports words that you can say in a certain tone and everyone will recognize them. "Playoffs!?" wins by a narrow margin, but they both have a special place in the best press conferences of the last 5 years.


Comments:
Another funny press conference rant was former Jets coach Herman Edwards with his famous "YOU-PLAY-TO-WIN-THE-GAME" speech. He should get some sort of consideration in the category of sounding stupid at press conferences.
 
Hi,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on chokeartist.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Are you really serious about your weight?. Recent Scientific Research indicates that almost 80% of all U.S. adults are either fat or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.
 
Remarkable! Its truly awesome article, I have got much clear idea regarding from this
piece of writing.

my blog post: mobile slots games
Also see my webpage - play blackjack for real money online
 
After exploring a number of the blog articles on your
web site, I truly like your technique of writing a
blog. I book-marked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back in the near future.
Please visit my website as well and tell me what you think.


Feel free to visit my homepage - african mango plus
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?